Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Extra! Extra! Read All About It!

Breaking News for Toller Troubles...

We are currently in the process of getting Casco's limited AKC registration removed! Some of you may not even know that my family owns a second toller. My time and this blog have been dedicated to our 15 month old female toller, Camden. This is mainly due to the fact that she is "mine". Casco is also from Seastar and is 4 days younger than Camden. While I've been working with her and taking her to shows our male toller has been living in upstate New York with my younger brother. Even though both tollers are our family pets Casco is considered Darren's. 

My brother recently was accepted into Tuft's Dental School. While we are extremely proud of my brother this means big changes in all of our lives. When we took on two toller puppies instead of one we knew this day might come. Casco will be staying in our house for the next 4 years while Darren attends school and chases his dreams. All pups under one roof... let the chaos begin! 

Welcome to the Jungle

While my brother is away at dental school I am taking the opportunity to work with Casco and show him. This does mean that I will have to also enter the show ring. I know, I know this is way overdue. 

I am not sure if it because he is a male but Casco has a lot more "energy" than Camden. It could be because he has been living with two males and no other dogs. He has been moved into a "new" house with "new" dogs and "new" humans. Although, none of these things are indeed new to him it is still different than before. Casco is adjusting well to everything including learning who truly rules our house... my 10lbs miniature pinscher, Quinn. He is a trooper and I am overjoyed to have him around.

I really would love to see him and Camden in the show ring, in the field, and on the dock together. Having him home allows me to work towards that goal. Fist step is to get his limited AKC registration removed so we can show him. I'm giving him time to adjust before really hitting the training. He is really smart and picks up on stuff easily. So hopefully it won't be too long or hard teaching him to free stack.

Our first priority is confirmation and a close second is dock dogs! Casco has been jumping into Seneca Lake at the encouragement of my brother. He also even jumped into our pool once after Darren, He is well on his way to rocking the dock. We will be heading to dock dog practices with both Camden and Casco. I am excited because I think he might actually go in the pool easier and faster than Cam. Camden is still working on her confidence with swimming, but I hope that it well soon become second nature to both of them. Dock Dogs would be something our whole family can enjoy! 

I really can not wait until we are flying off the dock and strutting our stuff around the show ring. The field work will take longer to master because of the level of training involved, but that is something my brother and I really want to do. With a duck and a pheasant in the freezer, I plan on taking a vacation in the fall to help work with them on basics and introduce birds to Casco. Cami has already seen and held a duck at the Toller Field Fun Day, but even then she was not too sure what she was supposed to do with it.  All I can say is BRING IT ON team toller trouble is ready! 


No comments:

Post a Comment