Monday, July 29, 2013

Busy Bees!!!

We have a busy couple of weeks coming up for the tollers. Next week I will be packing up Cami and Casco for a road trip to Ballston Spa, NY. I have entered Camden in to a weekend of shows. We will be staying with Jake and Christine's. It should be interesting to see how Casco treats another intact male. Jake is such a good boy though just hope he is ready for Casco-crazy! I will definitely be packing crates that weekend!

It will be my first road trip alone with the two tollers and I'm sure it will not be my last. I know this is going to be one of many trips to shows or events... just the beginning of it all. I'm excited to get Casco out there and around the hustle and bustle of shows. Crates and treats are a must for this weekend trip. I am also hoping to have people give him the once over. As of right now whenever you go to touch him he collapses into a puddle of excitement and fur. If I go to try and move a leg and position him he lowers his head and braces himself moving another paw. He seems very unsure of himself with hand stacking and people touching him. He isn't afraid so much as just doesn't understand what we are asking. He has always been able to sit or roll over on his back and get belly rubs. Having someone move his feet and stack him is a completely new concept. I'm hoping that I will get lots of good training tips and build up that confidence. Even if I have to ask random people to give him the once over!! Don't even get me started on grooming tables, Dremels, and basically everything involved with grooming. Lots of work getting him ready, but I know it will be worth it once we get the go ahead for showing! He is a very handsome boy. In true Toller Trouble fashion it can't be easy! He does has a kink in his tail, but as far as I can tell it shouldn't put a damper on our fun too much... crossing my fingers!

The following weekend I have another show with Camden. This one is in Fitchburg, MA. It will be nice to have Camden show there since that is where it all began. It was the place where I first brought her to see about conformation. It was the first place I met Debbie and Christine... Laurie and her adorable son.... it was the first place I met Jakey and many other fabulous tollers. It is also the first place I met Robyn and Cooper and also the first place I met Jane. It just seems like it is coming full circle for us. I am hoping that I can talk my brother into coming with me that weekend just for one day. I really want him to see what this is all about. It would be great if we could bring Casco to get more training and exposure for him. Casco will be a pro before we know it! He is such a smarty and does pick up on things really fast!

My mother even mentioned the possibility of entering Casco in a conformation class this fall, like we did for Camden. I know that was essential in helping me and Camden understand what was going on as well as teach her that there was to be other dogs to ignore and other dogs in front and behind her. She did so well, but Casco might not be as focused. She did state that she might even take him since my schedule is all over the place and most of the time is very late. I wouldn't be able to get out early enough on the same day every week. This would be so great. Not only would Casco be getting valuable training and exposure to real life ring situations, but my mom would be learning how to show... and seeing why I enjoy it! There is nothing like those moments where it clicks and that bond it creates for you and your dog!

Also, in the upcoming weeks, we will have some "swimming lessons" and training for dock dogs! Cross your fingers, but I'm currently trying to convince my parents to take the tollers to dock dogs practice this Saturday. I will be at work and am unable to make it. I believe, with some encouragement, Casco will actually jump in! I have faith! Cami on the other hand might not even, but I'm hoping for maybe some ramp work and maybe some swimming.  I do have this Wednesday off for a rotation day and I will be heading out and working on toller training, weather permitting. I'm thinking some swimming lessons for the tollers at the beach and 'Field Work Commands: 101'. Time to dust off the whistle and see if we can get a whistle sit and a whistle come for the tollers. I do hope to get some footage of this if I can so I can judge where they need the most work. There is nothing like watching yourself and your dogs on film to see where you both can improve. One of the bigger pieces of advice that I have for anyone training their dogs... I really think it does help to see everyone!

So long for now from all of the gang...

Camden, Quinn, & Casco

No comments:

Post a Comment